Many people love the simple puff puff recipe, but some add milk and eggs to switch things up a bit. But does it make any difference? Does it just make it milky or maybe fluffier?
We are not talking about puff puff or buns with boiled eggs at the center, often called “egg rolls” or “egg buns.” I couldn’t believe the latter the first time I heard it, but yes, it exists; it is a synonym for the former!
This is about adding eggs and milk to the recipe for puff puff. So, aside from the regular flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and water ingredients, milk and eggs make it to the list.
The puff puff recipe with milk and eggs we will share is worth trying out but before that, let’s see the difference it makes.
Can I Add Milk to Puff Puff?
Yes, you can. We tried it with powdered milk, not evaporated milk, and it turned out just as fine. There was not much of a difference in taste. We could probably tell it apart from the regular puff puff because we knew we added milk to the recipe, not because it changed its taste.
One trick to it was to dissolve the milk in the exact quantity of water we would normally use in making our puff puff.
The eggs did make a noticeable difference. The puff puff we got was harder than fluffier. They create a more filling version. You can never have too many puff puffs, but this puff puff recipe with milk and eggs is a game changer.
Read also: Puff Puff Recipe for 1kg Flour
Puff Puff Recipe with Milk and Egg
Puff Puff Recipe with Milk and EggCourse: SnacksCuisine: AfricanDifficulty: Medium
We tried it with powdered milk, not evaporated milk, and it turned out just as fine. There was not much of a difference in taste.
600g of all-purpose flour
150g of sugar
10g of fast-action yeast
500g of warm water
½ tsp of salt
1 tbsp of milk, powdered
- In a deep bowl, add your flour, salt, fast-action yeast, and sugar and mix thoroughly. The fast-action yeast does not need proofing. You don’t need to soak it in water first. Just add it to the flour directly.
- Beat your eggs and add them to the dry mixture and use your hands or a whisk to combine. You won’t be able to achieve smooth consistency, so do not worry about that.
- Dissolve your milk in warm water and add bits to the mixture and combine as you do so. It would be best to attain a consistency that is not too thick or runny. If the water isn’t enough, keep adding warm water in bits until you achieve the stated consistency for the batter.
- Cover the mixture with a film. If it’s not readily available, improvise with a soft nylon bag. Please place it in a warm place and proof it for 45 minutes, 1-hour max.
- At the end of the wait time, it should have doubled. The milk and eggs do not affect the yeast’s action, so your batter will rise just fine, all things equal. You can deflate it with your palm.
- To fry, pour enough oil into your frying pan and heat. Be generous with your vegetable oil because puff puff requires deep frying. Cut a bit of the batter into the hot oil to test if the oil is ready for frying. If it rises to the top immediately, your oil is ready.
- Start scooping your batter into the oil. You can use a scoop if you can’t use your hands. If you want to learn how to use your palms to scoop the batter into the oil, click here.
- Fry until golden, using a fork to turn it around until evenly fried. Scoop them out and repeat the process until all the batter is gone.
- Note that you might have to adjust the heat as needed, so you don’t have a puff puff with a fine crispy finish but a half-cooked interior.
Our Three Most Creative Ideas for An Amazing Puff Puff
Puff puff needs no accessories, but to spice things up, you can do a number of things. Here are our three most creative ideas for an amazing puff puff. Number three is our absolute fave!
Puff Puff with Caramel Dizzle
This requires no special additives. You need to either follow this regular recipe for puff puff or the puff puff recipe with milk and egg above and make your own caramel sauce.
Do not panic. It’s really simple. All you need is 1 cup of sugar, ¼ cup of water, 1 tsp of corn syrup, 1 tbsp of unsalted butter, and ½ cup of heavy whipping cream.
Read also: How to Make Puff Puff for Sale
Recipe for Caramel Sauce
Step 1: Put sugar in a small pot and add water. Swirl to mix until there are no dry patches.
Step 2: Add corn syrup and boil. While this is going on, DO NOT STIR.
Step 3: Keep an eye on it until all the sugar is completely dissolved, then reduce the heat to let it simmer gently. It should start browning after a while. Once it’s brown enough, remove from heat and add butter. This process requires your attention.
Step 4: Swirl until the butter dissolves in the mixture, then add cream slowly. Keep swirling it and place it on the burner with the heat turned off. It will gradually thicken.
Once your puff puff is ready, allow it to cool for a bit, and drizzle the caramel sauce over it with a spoon.
Red Velvet Puff Puff
When I first heard about this, I wondered, “ Why would anyone do that to puff puff?” But you might be shocked at the outcome. I still refuse to call it puff puff after the accessories- cocoa powder and red food coloring, were added to achieve this.
I will share a recipe for this one of these days, and you should try it out.
Puff Puff with Chilli Pepper and Onions
This is the only accessorized puff puff capable of beating the regular puff puff in my books. After proofing, chopped chili pepper and onions are added to the batter just before frying.
You only need half a medium-sized onion and about 4 to 5 chili peppers. The outcome is the definition of deliciousness!
In order to make perfect puff puff, you will need a few essential pieces of equipment. Here are the items you will need:
- Mixing bowl: You will need a large mixing bowl to combine all of the ingredients. The bowl should be deep enough to allow for proper mixing without spilling.
- Whisk or spoon: You will need a whisk or a spoon to mix the ingredients in the bowl. Make sure to mix the ingredients thoroughly to ensure that the batter is smooth.
- Measuring cups and spoons: It is important to measure the ingredients accurately to ensure that the puff puff turns out well. You will need measuring cups and spoons to measure the flour, sugar, and other ingredients.
- Deep-fryer or pot: You will need a deep-fryer or a deep pot to fry the puff puff. The pot should be deep enough to hold enough oil to cover the puff puff balls completely. Alternatively, you can use a wok or a Dutch oven.
- Slotted spoon or tongs: You will need a slotted spoon or tongs to turn the puff puff balls over while frying. These utensils will help you to avoid getting burnt by the hot oil.
- Paper towels: You will need paper towels to drain the excess oil from the fried puff puff balls. This will ensure that the puff puff remains crispy and doesn’t become greasy.
Make sure to have all of these equipment ready before you start making your puff puff. It will make the process easier and help you to avoid any unnecessary mistakes.
Tips and Tricks
Making perfect puff puff is not difficult, but it does require some attention to detail. Here are some tips and tricks to help you make perfect puff puff every time:
- Use warm water: When making the batter, use warm water instead of cold water. Warm water helps the yeast to activate, which results in a better rise and a fluffier texture.
- Let the batter rest: After mixing the batter, let it rest for at least 30 minutes to an hour. This will give the yeast time to work, resulting in a better rise and a more flavorful puff puff.
- Use fresh yeast: If you’re using yeast, make sure that it is fresh. Old yeast will not activate properly and will result in dense and heavy puff puff.
- Don’t overcrowd the pot: When frying the puff puff, don’t overcrowd the pot. Overcrowding will cause the puff puff to stick together and not cook evenly. Fry in batches instead.
- Use the right temperature: The oil should be at the right temperature before frying the puff puff. If the oil is too hot, the puff puff will burn on the outside and remain uncooked on the inside. If the oil is too cold, the puff puff will absorb too much oil and become greasy.
- Keep the puff puff moving: While frying the puff puff, keep them moving with a slotted spoon or tongs. This will help them cook evenly and avoid sticking together.
- Drain well: After frying the puff puff, drain them well on paper towels to remove excess oil. This will help them remain crispy and not become greasy.
- Add flavors: You can add different flavors to your puff puff batter to make them more interesting. For example, you can add vanilla extract, nutmeg, or cinnamon for a delicious twist.
By following these tips and tricks, you can make perfect puff puff every time. Remember, practice makes perfect, so keep trying until you get the hang of it!
Even if you follow the recipe and the tips and tricks carefully, sometimes things can go wrong. Here are some common issues that can occur while making puff puff and how to troubleshoot them:
- The puff puff is too hard and dense: This could be due to using too much flour or not enough water. To fix this, try adding more water to the batter and mixing thoroughly. Alternatively, you can try using less flour in the batter.
- The puff puff is too oily: This could be due to the oil being too hot or not draining the puff puff well after frying. To fix this, make sure that the oil is at the right temperature before frying and drain the puff puff well on paper towels after frying.
- The puff puff doesn’t rise: This could be due to the yeast not being fresh or the batter not resting for long enough. To fix this, try using fresh yeast and letting the batter rest for a longer time.
- The puff puff is flat: This could be due to not using enough yeast or not letting the batter rest for long enough. To fix this, try using more yeast and letting the batter rest for at least an hour.
- The puff puff is too sweet: This could be due to using too much sugar in the batter. To fix this, try using less sugar in the batter or omitting it altogether.
- The puff puff is too salty: This could be due to using too much salt in the batter. To fix this, try using less salt in the batter or omitting it altogether.
By troubleshooting these common issues, you can salvage your puff puff and still enjoy a delicious snack. Don’t give up, and keep experimenting until you get it right!
Puff puff is a versatile snack that can be enjoyed on its own or paired with different sauces and dips. Here are some serving suggestions to make your puff puff even more delicious:
- Powdered sugar: Dusting your puff puff with powdered sugar is a simple and classic way to add a touch of sweetness.
- Honey: Drizzling honey over your puff puff is another delicious way to add sweetness.
- Cinnamon sugar: Sprinkling cinnamon sugar over your puff puff will give it a warm and cozy flavor.
- Chocolate sauce: Dipping your puff puff in warm chocolate sauce is a decadent treat.
- Caramel sauce: Drizzling caramel sauce over your puff puff is another indulgent way to enjoy this tasty snack.
- Spicy sauce: If you like things spicy, try dipping your puff puff in a spicy sauce like hot sauce or chili oil.
- Savory dips: Puff puff can also be paired with savory dips like hummus or tzatziki for a delicious twist.
- Ice cream: For a fun and indulgent treat, serve your puff puff with a scoop of ice cream.
Puff puff is also great on its own as a snack or served alongside other Nigerian dishes like jollof rice or moi moi. The possibilities are endless, so feel free to get creative and experiment with different flavors and pairings.
How do you make a good puff?
- Combine the dry ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, yeast (if using), salt, and any other dry ingredients that you want to add to the puff puff batter.
- Add the wet ingredients: Gradually add warm water to the dry ingredients, while stirring with a whisk or spoon. Mix until the batter is smooth and free of lumps.
- Let the batter rest: Cover the bowl with a clean towel or plastic wrap and let the batter rest in a warm place for at least 30 minutes or up to an hour. This will give the yeast time to activate and the batter to rise.
- Heat the oil: Heat up vegetable oil in a deep fryer or pot until it reaches a temperature of 350-375°F (175-190°C).
- Fry the puff puff: Using a small ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, scoop out small balls of the batter and drop them into the hot oil. Fry for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown on all sides. Use a slotted spoon or tongs to remove the puff puff from the oil and place them on paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Serve and enjoy: Once the puff puff has cooled slightly, you can serve them and enjoy them as is or with your preferred dip or sauce.
To make sure you get the best results, make sure to use fresh ingredients, measure the ingredients accurately, and pay attention to the temperature of the oil while frying. Additionally, practice and experimentation can help you find the perfect balance of ingredients and flavors for your personal taste.
Why is my puff puff soggy?
If your puff puff is soggy, it could be due to a few reasons. Here are some common reasons why your puff puff may turn out soggy:
- Oil temperature too low: If the oil temperature is too low, the puff puff will take longer to cook and absorb more oil, resulting in a soggy texture. Make sure the oil is heated to the right temperature (350-375°F or 175-190°C) before frying.
- Overcrowding the pot: If you add too many puff puff balls to the oil at once, they may stick together and not cook evenly, resulting in a soggy texture. Fry in small batches instead.
- Using too much water: If you add too much water to the batter, the puff puff will become dense and soggy. Make sure to measure the water accurately and only add the recommended amount.
- Not draining the puff puff well: After frying, make sure to drain the puff puff well on paper towels to remove any excess oil. If they are not drained properly, the puff puff will become soggy.
- Batter too thin: If the batter is too thin, the puff puff will absorb more oil, resulting in a soggy texture. Make sure to follow the recipe and measure the ingredients accurately.
To avoid soggy puff puff, make sure to follow the recipe and pay attention to the details, such as the oil temperature, the amount of water, and the draining process. With a little practice and attention to detail, you can make perfect, crispy puff puff every time.
Is eating puff puff healthy?
Puff puff is a fried snack that is made with flour, sugar, and other ingredients, which means that it is high in calories, fat, and carbohydrates. While it is a delicious treat that is enjoyed by many people, it is not considered a healthy food.
Consuming too much fried food can lead to health problems such as obesity, high blood pressure, and heart disease. Puff puff is also high in sugar, which can contribute to tooth decay and other health problems.
If you are concerned about your health, it is important to consume puff puff in moderation, along with a balanced diet that includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats.
There are also ways to make puff puff healthier, such as using whole wheat flour instead of white flour, reducing the amount of sugar used in the batter, and using healthier oils for frying, such as olive oil or coconut oil.
We hope you experience the joy we did by trying this puff puff recipe with milk and egg and our beloved chili pepper puff puff.
Read also: How to Make Puff Puff Round