Puff puff is one of the most popular street snacks in Nigeria. An average Nigerian loves puff puff, although a few would prefer buns, a similar snack food. Puff puff is usually made by deep-frying small molded batter in hot oil.
The batter consists of flour, sugar, yeast, salt, and water. While Puff puff is usually eaten alone, many food enthusiasts and vendors devised several exciting ways to enjoy the much-loved delicacy. For example, some people add stuffing and fillings like corned beef, minced meat, and Nutella.
Others eat their Puff puff with sweet or spicy dips/sauces or toppings like chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, hot pepper sauce, jam, honey syrup, suya spice, granulated sugar, etc.
In recent times, Nigerian parties have taken Puff puff to another level by serving it alongside other finger foods and snacks like spring rolls, samosa, fried beef, fried gizzard, and fried plantain in small disposable packs; such snack combination is fondly called “small chops.”
Commercial Puff puff making is considered a very lucrative business in Nigeria, so if you are wondering how to make Puff puff for sale or a large gathering, this article is for you.
How to Make Puff Puff for Sale – A Recipe (Ingredients and Guide)
Making Puff puff for sale is one of the cheapest and easiest businesses to start in Nigeria. There is only a slight difference in how you make Puff puff for your family and how you make Puff puff for sale.
For one, you would have to get a considerably larger quantity of ingredients and utensils. But, again, you cannot afford to make mistakes because nobody will buy the Puff puff if they do not come out well. If that happens, you not only lose your capital, but you also lose customers. So, to prevent any mishap, follow this recipe below to make Puff puff for sale.
How to Make Puff Puff for Sale – A Recipe and GuideCourse: SnacksCuisine: AfricanDifficulty: Medium
For one, you would have to get a considerably larger quantity of ingredients and utensils. But, again, you cannot afford to make mistakes because nobody will buy the Puff puff if they do not come out well.
All-purpose flour – 3kg (1 custard bucket)
Sugar – 2 2/3 cups
Instant yeast – 4 tbsp
Salt – 2 tbsp
Milk/milk flavor – ½ cup
Vanilla extract – One 28ml bottle
Warm water – 9 cups
Oil for frying – 5 liters
Deep and wide frying pan
Large bowl for mixing batter
Tray or large kitchen napkin to cover the bowl of batter while proofing
Medium-sized bowl upon which the colander will be placed to drain
Set of measuring cups and spoons
Big cooking spoon for scooping fried Puff puff
- Sift the flour to loosen it and remove any foreign particles in it.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, yeast, salt, milk/milk flavor) and mix thoroughly with the spatula.
- Add warm water (not hot water) gradually and mix until you get a stretchy batter, then add the vanilla extract and mix some more.
- Cover the bowl with a tray or large kitchen napkin when everything is fully incorporated. Then place the bowl in a warm corner of your cooking area for about 45 minutes to allow the batter to proof.
- When the batter has doubled in size (after proofing for 45 minutes), heat your oil in the pan using medium heat.
- Drop one or two balls of batter into the oil to test if it is hot enough. If it floats to the top of the oil, then the oil is hot enough, but if it sinks to the bottom of the oil, then the oil is not hot enough, and you need to give it a little more time.
- When the oil gets hot enough, mold your Puff puff batter using any of the techniques shared in this article, and fry your Puff puff until they turn golden brown. Flip the Puff puff while frying so the balls will cook evenly.
- Once they turn golden brown, use a big cooking spoon to remove them into a colander to allow the oil to drain.
- And that is it; hot Puff puff is ready for sale!
- This recipe will make about 150 Puff puff balls, depending on the size of your molds (you can reduce the quantity of the ingredients or increase it, depending on how much Puff puff you intend to start with). You can also start with this quantity and increase it as your demand increases.
Read also: How to Make Puff Puff Round
What Makes Puff Puff Soak Oil?
If your puff puff soaks oil, it is usually because you did not allow your oil to get hot enough. On the other hand, if your oil is too hot, your Puff puff will get brown quickly and burn without getting cooked inside.
So, you need to ensure that your cooker’s temperature is just right; not too low heat, not too high heat. One way to test if your oil is hot enough is by dropping in one or two molded batters. If it floats to the top of the oil, it is hot enough, but if it sinks to the bottom of the oil, it is not hot enough.
Another reason your puff puff can soak oil is that you keep your already fried puff puff in a bowl or container without lining it with paper towels or allowing the oil to drain off.
This way, the puff puff soaks the excess oil and becomes oily. You can prevent your Puff puff from soaking oil by putting your fried puffs in a colander or a bowl lined with serviettes.
How Do You Preserve Puff Puff Mixture?
It is quite normal to have leftover Puff puff batter or mixture. This may happen for many reasons: you might be running out of time for an important function or have prepared excess batter in the first place. The good news is that your batter will remain usable if you store it properly.
The best way to preserve puff puff mixture is to cover it tightly with plastic wrap or transfer it into a ziplock bag and store it in your refrigerator for about 3 days. You can also freeze the batter mixture, which will remain good for about a month. Frozen puff puff batter will probably remain good for more than a month, but the taste and other properties might be affected as a result of the long duration of storage.
Considerations When Making Puff Puff For Public Consumption
There are several factors to consider when making puff puff for sale. Some of the most important ones include the following;
For a business like commercial Puff puff making, you have to be in a good location where customers can patronize your business. For instance, a place close to schools, offices, and busy roads will have more potential customers than a lonely street.
Puff puff is prepared differently; some love their plain, while others love theirs spicy. You can add pepper to a batch of your Puff puff batter to see if some people would rather go for it. Alternatively, you can make pepper sauce as a topping on plain Puff puff
Tips for making Puff puff for public consumption
- Try as much as possible to get all your ingredients in bulk; it will save you some money.
- Never use previously used vegetable oil to fry Puff puff for public consumption. The oil will taint the taste of your Puff puff, and you do not want to have that.
- Instead of using milk in your recipe, try to get milk flavor, usually sold in small sachets and containers. It is less expensive and has a stronger flavor than milk.
Although it is not difficult to make Puff puff for sale, just like any business venture, you must first do your feasibility studies and cost and profit analyses before starting.
However, puff puff business can be very profitable if managed properly. Another good thing about it is that it does not require much capital. So if you think you cannot start a business because you don’t have a hundred thousand naira yet, this is a low-capital business you can start and make a good profit.