Here’s our best Nigerian Meat Pie Recipe. Nigerian Meat pie, one of the pioneers and forerunners of baked snacks in Nigeria, is a must-try for both residents and tourists. This classic snack can be eaten at any time and place.
Nigerian Meat pie is a savory delight that incorporates minced meat, potatoes, and carrots into pastry. Its healthiness cannot be overemphasized, especially as it can be enjoyed with other healthy drinks such as fruit drinks, tea, coffee, and so on.
Nigerian Meat pie is a snack meal that graces your palate when carefully and properly prepared. In this article, we’ll be sharing some top reasons why you should try Nigerian meat pie and the recipe— the best recipe for our so-much-loved Nigerian Meat pie.
Nigerian Meat Pie Recipe and a List of Ingredients You’ll NeedCourse: SnacksCuisine: AfricanDifficulty: Medium
Here’s our best Nigerian Meat Pie Recipe
- Ingredients for the pastry
6 cups of plain flour
500g of butter
4 tbsp of sugar
1 tbsp of baking powder
1 tbsp of salt
5 medium-sized eggs
1 cup of milk
- Ingredients for the filling
750g of minced meat
1 large potato (diced)
2 carrots (skinned and diced)
1 onion (chopped)
2 tbsp of flour
2 Seasoning cubes
- Preparation of pastry
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly until well combined.
- Add the butter, and with clean hands, mix thoroughly until you achieve a breadcrumb-like consistency.
- Crack four eggs in a small bowl and whisk. Then, create a hole in the large bowl mixture and pour. Then, fold it in and mix thoroughly.
- Add milk to the mixture and fold in gently.
- On a flat, floured surface, gently knead the batter to get a smooth dough.
- Place the dough back into the bowl and refrigerate for two hours.
- Preparation of filling
- Pour diced potato into a pot and boil for a few minutes. It shouldn’t be well done.
- Add the vegetable oil to a frying pan, then the onions. Sauté for two minutes, and add the minced meat. Stir well for even distribution.
- Add the salt, pepper, and seasoning cubes, then stir well.
- Add the carrot and potatoes. Then, stir to enable an equal distribution in the filling. Then add the flour for a thick consistency. Stir immediately to avoid flour lump in the filling.
- Leave to steam for two minutes. Then remove from heat and set aside.
- Preparation of the meat pie
- Remove the dough from the fridge and cut it into smaller bits for ease when rolling.
- On a flat floured surface, roll out the dough until it is flat, about a quarter inch thick.
- Using a meat pie cutter, a saucer, or any sizable round utensil, cut out a round-shaped dough. Next, spoon a tablespoon of filling on the cutout.
- If you used a meat pie cutter, securely close the dough in. If you are using a round-shaped utensil, fold the dough over and secure the edges using a fork.
- Place pies on a baking tray, ensuring enough space between them.
- Set oven to 350°C.
- Crack the last egg into a small bowl, whisk thoroughly and glaze the meat pie surface. Then, place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- You will have a light golden brown, freshly baked Nigerian meat pie when it is done.
- Serve and enjoy!
Read also: What Are the Ingredients for Meat Pie?
Top Reasons to try the Nigerian Meat Pie Recipe
We love exploring variety. Variety is the spice of life. Imagine having to eat only one type of meal all the time.
Life would indeed be boring.
The Nigerian meat pie recipe is just one of the various baked snack meals worldwide. Here are some reasons why you should try this variety:
The Nigerian meat pie pastry’s flaky, buttery, savory texture will interest you. It forms the nutritious base for the amazing baked snack.
Flour, the key ingredient in the Nigerian meat pie pastry, contains fiber, carbohydrates, protein, thiamin, iron, and other important nutrients.
The juicy filling of the Nigerian meat pie crowns this snack, giving it its identity and taste.
Beef packs nutrients such as monounsaturated fats, which help to fight against heart conditions, weight loss, and inflammation. It also contains nutrients such as zinc, protein, vitamin B, and other minerals
Potatoes are a vegetable that thrives in nutritional content such as potassium, vitamin C, fiber, and manganese. Therefore, Nigerian meat pie with a load of potatoes provides essential nutrients.
Conversely, carrots offer many nutrients, such as beta-carotene, vitamin K1, fiber, and potassium.
You must know that we have the luxury of tweaking the filling of the Nigerian meat pie recipe to fit our desire and taste.
Method of cooking
Baking is the method of cooking employed for the Nigerian meat pie recipe. Baking is always preferred over frying because it is a healthier cooking method.
Unnecessary calories are therefore absent in the Nigerian meat pie recipe, thus making it a healthier snack.