Grandma old fashioned Sweet Potato Pie recipe is a guaranteed hit at any friend or family gathering. Although it’s a traditional and old-fashioned way of cooking sweet potato pie, this recipe never fails to impress the crowd. If you’re trying to recreate your grandma’s classic dessert, the cooking guide below is definitely what you need right now!
Ingredients for Grandma old fashioned Sweet Potato Pie
- Large sweet potatoes (3 pieces, peeled and cut into chunks)
- Unbaked pie crust (1 piece, 9 inches)
- Ground ginger (1/4 teaspoon)
- Nutmeg (1/4 teaspoon)
- Ground cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon)
- Salt (1/4 teaspoon)
- Pure vanilla extract (1 teaspoon)
- Flour (1 tablespoon)
- Evaporated milk (1/2 cup)
- Large eggs (2 pieces)
- Unsalted butter (1/2 cup, softened)
- Sugar (1 cup)
- Pie crust: You can either use a homemade or store-bought pie cake. If you’re going to make the pie crust yourself, go ahead and make it first then refrigerate it. Make sure the crust is made correctly! Because a flaky, buttery and perfectly golden brown pie crust plays an essential role in this sweet potato pie.
- Sweet potatoes: The star of Grandma old fashioned Sweet Potato Pie recipe. With their natural sweetness, sweet potatoes add a distinctive autumn flavor to the pie. They make the filling velvety, rich and full of flavors. And most important of all, sweet potatoes make this dish one of the healthiest desserts. Because they contain lots of vitamins such as B, C and D as well as iron and fiber.
- Spices: This pie is full of amazing flavors and it’s anything but bland. Furthermore, it doesn’t make use of too much nutmeg or cinnamon, which is a good thing.
- Evaporated milk: Adds an extra creamy texture to the pie. And remember to check your can’s label to make sure it’s evaporated milk and not condensed milk. The latter is way sweeter and thicker, and it’s definitely not for someone who’s trying to make a healthy or less sugary dish.
- Pure vanilla extract: To make the best-tasting old fashioned sweet potato pie there is, use the real deal pure vanilla extract. It will definitely pay off in the end.
Related article: 4 food ideas for “A little pumpkin is on the way” baby shower theme
Step by step Instruction
Step 1: Add the sweet potato chunks into a pan. Add water and simmer until tender.
Step 2: Measure out 2 cups of boiled and mashed sweet potato.
Step 3: Preheat the oven to 175-degrees C (350-degrees F). Grease a pie plate and line it with the 9-inch unbaked pie crust. Set aside.
Step 4: Prepare a stand mixer with a bowl attached. Add in butter and mashed sweet potato then beat over medium speed until the mixture becomes fluffy.
Step 5: Add vanilla extract, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, eggs, flour, evaporated milk and sugar. Keep the medium speed and continue to beat until all the ingredients are well incorporated and become smooth. This will be the filling for the sweet potato pie.
Step 6: Pour the filling into the pie crust already prepared. Bake in the oven until the center is set (for about 1 hour). You can also insert a knife into the pie’s center and check if the knife comes out clean or not.
More recipe: Cookie monster smash cake: Step-by-step instructions
Step 7: Remove from the oven and let the pie cool completely. For serving, cut the pie into 10 slices. Add a dollop of whipped cream on top and enjoy this tasty dish with your friends and family!
Useful tips for Grandma old fashioned Sweet Potato Pie recipe
Secret to know if the sweet potato pie is baked through
When the pie is done, its center should slightly wiggle but not too much, like Jell-O. If the center moves or swooshes like a wave, then your sweet potato pie definitely needs more baking time. In case the pie crust browns at a more rapid rate than you would like. Then use a pie crust shield to shield it and continue baking until the center is set.
Making the topping for sweet potato pie
You can easily whip some heavy cream to make the topping for the pie. However, if you want to make the pie more healthy and tasty, why not use marshmallow whipped cream? It’s puffy, creamy and not too sugary.
For a crunchy texture, you can also add some toasted coconut flakes to Grandma old fashioned Sweet Potato Pie recipe. Just a touch of these and it will put your sweet potato pie over the top. If you’re not a coconut fan, using toasted pecans as a topping for your pie wouldn’t be a bad idea.
Store and freeze sweet potato pie
The leftovers of sweet potato pie should be tightly covered and stored in a freezer. It can last up to 5 days. Cool down to room temperature before serving.
If you want to freeze it, let the pie cool after baking. Then use aluminum foil or plastic wrap to tightly cover the pie. Place it in a zip top bag or a freezer-safe storage container. This way, the sweet potato pie should last for about 3 months. Before serving, thaw the pie in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours.
Another thing to consider is that if you intend to freeze the pie. You should bake it in disposable aluminum pie pans. This way you’ll have your “pretty” pie plate available to make other types of pies you want.
While pumpkin pie is usually chosen for Thanksgiving, you can also replace it with Grandma old fashioned Sweet Potato Pie recipe to shake things up a little bit. This pie is autumn on a plate with the cozy notes of sweet potatoes and vanilla, along with warm spices. If you would like to discover more interesting food recipes, check out Bourbon O’s website!
Hi, We are Bourbon O, a food blogger, cookbook author. I love eating lots of delicious food and figuring out how to make them.I have been an artist and journalist for many years. I am a food blogger who is crazy about food, drink and specially kitchen gadgets.
1 thought on “Simple Grandma old fashioned Sweet Potato Pie recipe”
Best view i have ever seen !