Whether it’s due to weight watching, health concerns, or simply experimenting with recipes, adding a fresh twist to your meals will make you anticipate mealtime.
Hamburger Helper is a great way to put a quick meal on the table. This beef-based dish has found its way into many homes and many hearts. This has people wanting to know if you can make Hamburger Helper without meat.
Hamburger helper can be made without meat.
It is common to use other alternatives to beef like chicken, tuna.
Come with me as I get into the detail.
Does Hamburger Helper have meat in it?
Yes, it mostly does. Usually, Hamburger Helper consists of ground beef which can be alternated with ground turkey, tuna, chicken, and sausage. If you have health concerns about meat, or you’re maintaining a vegan diet, you may want to consider making your Hamburger Helper with other things.
Can you make Hamburger Helper without meat?
Yes, most definitely. Although, traditionally, Hamburger Helpers are made with ground beef, but making a Hamburger Helper without meat is not as uncommon as it may seem.
It is as quick and easy as making it with beef.
Beef can be replaced with ground turkey, ground chicken, tuna, ground Italian sausage tempeh.
If you are not interested in substituting meat for anything and you just want to use milk and water, the consistency may change and the sauce may not be as thick as you’d want.
Can you substitute tuna for beef in Hamburger Helper?
Yes, you can use tuna instead of beef in Hamburger Helper. Hamburger Helper with tuna aka Tuna Helper is a quick fix. It is great for a no-beef diet. Tuna helper can be cooked on the stove or in the oven, depending on preference.
Can you make Hamburger Helper with chicken?
Sure, you can. Ground chicken is a nutritious substitute if you’re making Hamburger Helper without meat.
The ground chicken will give your sauce an even lighter taste as compared to beef.
Chicken Hamburger Helper does the magic as well.
When you use chicken in place of the ground beef, you do not necessarily need to sieve out the fat while it is cooking as you do for ground beef.
Here is a list of some quick how-to recipes for vegan Hamburger Helper and chicken Hamburger Helper:
Read also: Can You Make Hamburger Helper Without Milk?
How do you make Hamburger Helper without meat?
Here are the ingredients you need for a nutritious vegan Hamburger Helper:
- One big onion
- Four ounces of crisp onions
- 1 teaspoon of chipotle chili powder
- A quarter cup of shredded vegan parmesan cheese
- 1 pound of noodle pasta of choice
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 7 ounces of vegan cheddar (make sure it is shredded if solid)
- 2 tablespoons of toy sauce
- A big can of diced fire-roasted tomatoes (28 ounces)
- A tablespoon of garlic powder
- A tablespoon of onion powder
- 2 tablespoons of healthy yeast
- 1/2 a teaspoon of dried oregano
- ½ a teaspoon of dried thyme
- ½ a teaspoon of dried sage
- A pinch of cayenne
- 1 ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 chopped head of garlic
- A pack of meat sausage (chopped inconsistently)
Steps to making a vegan Hamburger Helper
- Preheat the oven to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Put your onions and oil in a big Dutch oven and increase the heat to medium/high heat. Leave it to cook for 10 minutes while stirring occasionally till the onions assume a golden-brown look with slightly dark edges.
- Bring the heat to medium and add sausage and garlic. Keep stirring, while you add paprika, pinch cayenne, chipotle chili, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, nutritional yeast, and sage. Leave to cook for some minutes while still stirring.
- Add the cheese, canned tomatoes, sea salt, tamari. Stir well and let it cook for about 8 minutes. At this point, it has begun to simmer, add the pasta and enough water to cover the noodles barely and cover. Let it cook for 30 minutes.
- Carefully take off the lid, mix well and add your preferred seasonings. Sprinkle some shredded vegan Parmesan and crispy onions. Let it bake for another 15 minutes or till the pasta noodles are cooked to your liking.
- Take it out from the oven and let it sit for a bit because it’ll be too hot.
Read also: 9 Best Spices to Add to Ramen
If you’re interested in a chicken Hamburger Helper, we got you too!
To get started on a chicken Hamburger Helper, here’s a list of what you need:
- A pound of ground chicken (1 lb)
- ½ a teaspoon of celery seed
- ¼ teaspoon of chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons of chopped onions
- 1 table of chicken bouillon granule
- ¾ teaspoon of chili powder
- A teaspoon of sugar
- ¾ teaspoon of garlic salt
- 3 cups of preferred pasta
- 1 teaspoon of parsley
- A can of diced tomatoes (14 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons of parmesan cheese
7 Easy Steps to Making A Chicken Hamburger Helper
- Brown the ground chicken, take it out from the heat, and keep the chicken warm.
- Boil 3 cups of water.
- Add all ingredients (including the pasta) apart from the tomatoes and toppings to the boiled water.
- Let the mix cook for about 10 minutes or till it is soft.
- Lower the heat, add in the can of diced tomatoes and the ground chicken from step 1, and then stir well.
- Let the blend simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with toppings and stir.
In less than or about 40 minutes, your delicious chicken helper is ready to be eaten!
- Making Crabby Snacks and Homemades the Right Way
- Can You Microwave Cup Noodles?
- Can You Microwave Ramen in a Styrofoam Cup?
- How Long Do You Cook Bagel Bites?
I write about the intersection between evolutionary biology and food. I also talk about practical applications, sustainable agriculture, and general tasty things