Bourbon Street Chicken and Shrimp Applebee’s recipe is a delicious combination of protein-rich meat and seafood. Blackened shrimp and Cajun-inspired chicken are cooked in a creamy garlic gravy, paired with caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms and parsley on top. This dish not only creates an explosion of flavors in your mouth, but is also quite healthy as it’s gluten-free and keto-friendly.
Bourbon Street Chicken and Shrimp Applebee’s recipe
Applebee’s Neighborhood Grill + Bar is a restaurant chain owned by Applebee’s Restaurants LLC. – an American company. Aside from the Cajun Shrimp Pasta, Bourbon Street Chicken and Shrimp is also a famous dish that was included in Applebee’s “Bourbon Street-inspired menu”.
As you might already know, Bourbon Street is one of the most visited tourist destinations in New Orleans. It’s well-known for its rich history and famous attractions, such as Bourbon street bars and restaurants. It’s an iconic “life of the party” town, with stunningly designed balconies, music-filled alleyways and glistening neon lights.
Bourbon Street is also considered a food paradise as it boasts of an impressive culinary scene. It’s also in this street that the South’s bayou cooking style is created. The most favorite dishes inspired by this style of cooking are jambalaya, chicken and shrimp gumbo…
Tips and tricks for Bourbon Street Chicken and Shrimp Applebee’s recipe
- If the chicken breasts you use are quite thick or large, cut each in half lengthwise. This way you’ll create beautiful thin filets that will save you some time for pouding and cooking. Furthermore, the meat will be more flavorful as it’s more well seasoned.
- Rub in the cajun seasoning to make sure every piece of shrimp and chicken are fully seasoned.
- You can also buy ready made cajun seasoning to reduce the prep time even more.
- Do not overcrowd the pan with shrimp! Otherwise the shrimp will cook slowly and become chewy (as a result of overcooking).
More recipe: Khashlama: Armenian Lamb and Vegetable stew Step by step recipe
Ingredients for Bourbon Street Chicken and Shrimp Applebee’s recipe
- Cayenne pepper (1/2 teaspoon)
- Chili powder (1/2 teaspoon)
- Onion powder (1/2 teaspoon)
- Garlic powder (1/2 teaspoon)
- Pepper (1/3 teaspoon)
- Salt (1 teaspoon)
- Oregano (1 teaspoon)
- Smoked paprika (1 1/2 teaspoons)
- Brown sugar (2 teaspoons)
Bourbon street chicken and shrimp
- Boneless chicken breast (1 pound)
- Tail-on shrimp (1 pound, peeled and deveined)
- Low-sodium chicken broth or bone broth if you want extra protein (3/4 cup)
- Garlic (3 cloves, finely minced)
- Butter (1/3 cup)
- Olive oil or canola (3 tablespoons, divided)
Side dish ingredients
- Lemon wedges
- Mashed potatoes with garlic
- Finely chopped parsley (optional)
- Caramelized onions
- Sautéed mushrooms
Step by step Bourbon Street Chicken and Shrimp Applebee’s Instruction
Make the Cajun seasoning
Step 1: Combine all the above listed ingredients for cajun seasoning together in a large shallow bowl.
Step 2: Toss the shrimp and chicken in the seasoning mixture using tongs. Drizzle 1 tbsp of oil. Spread the remaining cajun mixture evenly.
Step 3: Use right away or cover with plastic wrap and let it marinate for up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
Make the Bourbon Street chicken
Step 1: Prepare a large nonstick pan or skillet, add 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil and heat up on medium-high heat.
Step 2: Once the oil and butter mixture is hot, add the chicken and sear until the color changes to golden brown (for about 5 to 8 minutes). You can also use a meat thermometer and check the chicken’s internal temperature if it reaches 165-degrees F.
Step 3: Remove the chicken from heat then set aside.
Related article: Gordon Ramsay Lasagna: A Game-Changing Lasagne Recipe
Make the Bourbon Street shrimp
Step 1: Shrimp is also a star in this Bourbon Street Chicken and Shrimp Applebee’s recipe. Use the same nonstick pan or skillet that you just used to cook the chicken. Then heat 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil on medium-high heat.
Step 2: Once hot, add the shrimp and cook until charred (about 2 minutes per side).
Step 3: Remove the shrimp from heat and then set aside.
Make the garlic butter gravy
Step 1: Use the same nonstick pan or skillet and decrease the heat to medium. Add into the pan the remaining butter and melt. Then stir in the garlic and sauté until tender and fragrant (for about 30 to 45 seconds). Scrape off any browned bits you can find from the pan.
Step 2: Pour in the chicken stock, wait for about 3 minutes for the mixture to reduce, or until the liquid reaches a certain “sauce” consistency”.
Step 3: Remove from heat. Then drizzle the gravy on top of the shrimp and chicken.
Step 4: Scatter the chopped parsley and top with a wedge of lemon. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes, caramelized onions and sauteed mushrooms.
Bourbon Street Chicken and Shrimp is gluten-free and keto-friendly. Shrimp and chicken are both low-calorie and low-fat foods.
Cooked chicken and shrimp can be refrigerated for 3 – 4 days. If you store the dish in an airtight container and put it in the freezer, the meal will last up to 4 months. However, make sure you eat all the leftovers 3 or at most 4 days after cooking.
You can easily reheat the dish in a skillet, microwave or oven:
- For skillet: Heat the oil over medium heat and cook the dish for 2 – 3 minutes.
- For microwave: Transfer the dish to a microwave-safe plate and warm it for 1 – 2 minutes.
- For oven: Bake at 300-degrees F until the center of the chicken reaches a temperature of 165-degrees F (for about 20 minutes).
If you’re craving some spicy food, then this Bourbon Street Chicken and Shrimp Applebee’s recipe should definitely be on top of your list. The Cajun-seasoned shrimp and chicken will awake your taste buds and make you keep wanting for more! Don’t forget to check out Bourbon O’s website for more mouth-watering and tasty recipes.