Frozen hash browns are time savers as well as an option for a delicious breakfast dish, its flavors can be enhanced depending on the methods used to prepare it. There are various ways to cook frozen hash browns and they include using either a microwave, a frying pan, an oven, or a stove.
Each of these methods come with their set of instructions to enable you to prepare the hash browns properly and although the taste differs, the hash browns come out edible and ready to eat. It is also helpful to note that frozen hash browns are already partly cooked before they’re packaged to be sold, so they do not require long periods of cooking time.
How To Cook Frozen Hash Browns In The Microwave
Cooking frozen hash browns in a microwave is one of the fastest ways of preparing it and is a preferred option when you’re in a hurry, however, hash browns prepared this way do not come out golden brown as it does with the other methods, despite that it is still very edible.
- First place the hash browns in a large microwave-safe dish, try not to let the hash browns overlap, otherwise, they would stick together and lose their shape.
- Place the dish in the microwave and turn it on at full power (800 watts) for 1 ½ minutes after which you turn the hash browns to the other side (This process is repeated continuously within 3-5 minutes until the hash browns look good enough to eat)
- When it is cooked properly bring out the dish from the microwave and allow it to cool, your hash browns are now ready to be served.
How To Cook Hash Browns In A Frying Pan
To cook hash browns in a frying pan,
- A small amount of cooking oil is poured into the pan in a quantity that is enough to coat it uniformly, using a non-stick pan is preferable as that reduces the amount of cooking oil to be applied, the oil to be used doesn’t need to be fancy, the regular one used for frying eggs and chips in the kitchen would work just fine.
- After pouring in the oil, place the frying pan on medium to low heat and allow the oil to heat up to a warm temperature, you don’t want it to be too hot as this can cause the hash browns to cook unevenly and burn.
- When the oil is warm, put the hash browns into the frying pan, turning it over every 2-3 minutes so that both sides can have the golden-brown color and crispy texture, after the hash browns have cooked well enough, remove them from the frying pan and place in a napkin to drain excess oil. The total cook time is between 8- 10 minutes.
How To Cook Frozen Hash Browns In The Oven
To prepare frozen hash browns in the oven,
- First, you preheat the oven to 400 o F(Fahrenheit) or 220 o C (Celsius), this is dependent on the kind of oven that is being used.
- After preheating, grease the baking tray minimally and then place the hash browns in it. If the baking tray is a non-stick one, there won’t be a need for additional oil.
- Spread out the hash browns in the tray, ensuring that they don’t overlap each other, bake for 20-30 minutes, turning them every 10-15 minutes so that both sides can cook perfectly. When the hash browns are cooked to the expected golden-brown color, it is then ready to be served. Cooking frozen hash browns in the oven is often tagged as the healthier alternative because it doesn’t involve the addition of extra oil or fat while it is being prepared.
How To Cook Frozen Hash Browns On The Stove
Another way to cook frozen hash browns is by using a stove.
- This is done by first putting 2-3 teaspoons of oil or a generous amount of butter on a cast iron pan and then placing it on a stove that is set to medium to high heat.
- The hash browns are cooked for five minutes, it should be turned to the other side at regular intervals so that both sides would be cooked through, while doing this, monitor the process carefully to prevent the hash browns from burning.
- The total cooking time for hash browns using a stove is around 10 minutes and when the hash browns become crispy and brown, it is ready to be eaten and should be taken off the stove.
How To Increase The Flavor Of Frozen Hash Browns
The flavor of hash browns can be bland if adequate ingredients are not added.
The flavor of frozen hash browns can be increased by: putting in thinly sliced onions on the hash browns before baking them, seasoning with salt and pepper after frying or microwaving, and serving the hash browns alongside tomato sauces or freshly made dip. The suggestions are endless and they help the hash browns become a very tasty mouthful.
What Other Methods Can Be Used to Cook Frozen Hash Browns?
Apart from cooking frozen hash browns in a frying pan, microwave, or oven. Hash browns can also be prepared with the aid of an Air-fryer. The temperature of the appliance is set at 175 o C and the hash browns are placed inside it to be cooked for over 10 minutes. The Air fryer is another suitable healthy option as it doesn’t require oil to be applied to the hash browns before preparation.
Cooking frozen hash browns is the way forward for busy individuals who cannot make hash browns from scratch, and the various methods of preparing it in either a microwave, frying pan, oven, or stove provide even more options with less cooking time for people who want to put together a quick meal.
It is also worthy to note that even though hash browns can be very appetizing, a nutritious accompaniment such as eggs, vegetables, or mushrooms should be added to make it a well-balanced meal.
- Does Teriyaki Sauce Need to Be Refrigerated?
- Does Maple Syrup Need to Be Refrigerated?
- Is there Cheese in Cheesecake?
- Is Brisket Beef or Pork? How Healthy Is It?
- How Long is Peanut Butter Good for after Opening?
Hi, We are Bourbon O, a food blogger, cookbook author. I love eating lots of delicious food and figuring out how to make them.I have been an artist and journalist for many years. I am a food blogger who is crazy about food, drink and specially kitchen gadgets.