Do you know what’s so great about paneer? The fact that you can eat it as a snack, eat it alongside a meal, and eat it for breakfast!
It’s not news that you can easily whip up a homemade batch of paneer. With cheesecloth, lemon juice, and whole milk, you’re good to go!
But can you eat the paneer raw without further preparation?
Definitely, you can eat raw paneer.
This delicious cheese with an Indian origin story is safe to eat in its raw form.
Come with us as we take our time to explain this further.
Can you eat paneer raw?
Yes, you can eat paneer raw.
Here’s why it is beneficial to eat paneer raw.
- Paneer is well-loaded with healthy nutrients magnesium, iron, and calcium. Hence cooking or roasting the paneer may damage some nutrients therein, so it may be healthier to eat paneer raw.
- Raw paneer is high in protein that gives you a surplus amount of energy to go about your day.
- Raw paneer is loaded with antioxidants that help improve the quality of the skin.
- Raw paneer has unsaturated fat which is a good kind of fat and is beneficial for the body. Unsaturated fats help lower the risk of developing heart disease, reduce the risk of early death. Unsaturated fat also improves cholesterol levels and has a positive impact on brain health as well
- Paneer that hasn’t been cooked further is low in carbohydrate and calorie content which makes it an ideal food choice for your weight-loss diet.
- Raw paneer is good for all groups of people. What this means is that everyone from children to adults can conveniently enjoy raw paneer without worries.
Can you eat paneer raw during pregnancy?
No, you shouldn’t give in to the urge of eating raw paneer during pregnancy. Allow us to tell you why.
Paneer that was made with either pasteurized or unpasteurized milk should not be included in the diet of someone pregnant. This is because raw paneer from either of the milk sources has a high chance of developing a bacterial infection. Cooked paneer is a viable option during pregnancy as it gets rid of the bacteria that may be present.
In general, for paneer to be eaten during pregnancy, the following should be considered:
- Paneer should have been made with pasteurized milk to reduce the chances of listeria.
- Make sure the paneer is made from premium quality ingredients.
- Only fresh paneer should be consumed during pregnancy. Paneer that has gone beyond a week should be avoided.
- Paneer that has developed a color change or a Ricky texture should also be avoided.
- Always ask your doctor for advice concerning including paneer in your pregnancy diet.
How to eat paneer for weight loss?
Here’s our ultimate paneer-inspired food list that will surely make your weight loss journey flavorful:
- Paneer and Corn
Paneer and corn is an innovative recipe to make and enjoy during your snack time. It is a minimalist dish that helps with weight loss.
- Besan Chilla Paneer
Sometimes garnished with diced tomato sauce or green chutney, besan chila paneer is a lightweight paneer-based dish that can be eaten as breakfast or as a snack in the evenings. Its lightweight nature makes it such a good meal for weight loss.
- Bhurji Paneer
This meal is also called paneer scramble. This protein-packed dish is loaded with a spicy burst of flavor and serves as a spicy way to stay on track with your weight loss journey.
- Paneer tikka roll
This roll is made up of whole wheat and a filling of paneer. This West Indian dish is ideal for weight reduction as well.
- Tawa Masala Paneer
This delicious paneer-based dish is super filling and that’s what makes it so good for weight loss. It keeps you full for most of your day, preventing you from getting hungry.
- Paneer Peas Biryani
This dish comes with three layers of nutritiousness. Each layer is made with brown rice, boiled green peas, and cubes of paneers. The ingredients in this three-story dish are what makes it so ideal for weight-watching purposes.
- Paneer Paratha
Along with a satisfying cup of tea, paneer paratha is a generic Indian breakfast dish that serves a double purpose.
- Paneer salad
This salad is a healthy way to satisfy your hunger craving. It is packed with flavor and nutrition. A wonderful choice for your weight loss diet.
- Paneer Tukki Pudina
Snack time with this mint-flavored snack is definitely a 10/10 idea if you’re on a weight-watching diet.
Can you eat cooked paneer cold?
Yes, as long as the paneer is cooked, it is fine to eat.
If paneer has been stored in the refrigerator and is cold, it is still fine to eat as long as it didn’t stay in the fridge past 2 days.
Read also: Can You Eat Pancetta Raw?
Can we eat paneer on Ekadashi?
Ekadashi fasting rules are different for each community and each family.
So, what foods may be ideal for consumption in one community or family may be different in another.
Nevertheless, Ekadashi allows the consumption of milk, and since paneer is a milk-source food, you’re good to go.
Read also: Can You Eat Frozen Salmon Raw?
Can I eat raw paneer daily?
Yes, you can eat raw paneer every day. You just need to do it moderately. Here’s how.
100 grams of raw paneer is recommended if you have to eat it every day but it is better to eat less than 100 grams a day because consuming as much as 100 grams a day will result in a high-calorie intake.
If you have to eat paneer every day, stick to the low-fat milk variety, and make sure to maintain an active lifestyle instead of a sedentary one.