It is inarguable that food businesses thrive on a large scale in Nigeria and worldwide. This is because humans will always eat – whether main course meals, desserts, or appetizers. Therefore, there is always a profit margin for whoever decides to venture into the food business.
Today, we’ll be discussing all there is to commercial meat pie, from recipe to profitability, and factors to consider when making commercial meat pie.
Meat pie in all its forms is a savory snack meal found in cuisines worldwide. Ingredients such as carrots, beef, potatoes, pepper, onions, beef stock, garlic, ginger, other spices, and sometimes dried fruits are well cooked and encased into a flaky, buttery pastry. It is then baked to form a golden brown pie crust known as a meat pie.
Meat pie is loved by the majority, young and old. I even like to take it in place of food many times. So, yes, meat pie business is lucrative in Nigeria and many other parts of the world.
See the best commercial meat pie recipe below, utilize it in your intended or already established meat pie business, and thank us later.
How to Make Commercial Meat Pie – A Recipe We Love
- 2 big bowls
- 1 small bowl
- 1 medium-sized pot
- 2 tablespoons
- 1 cooking spoon
- Rolling pins
- 2 large baking sheets
- 2 pastry brushes
- Meat pie cutter
- A table
- An Apron
- An Oven
- A gas cooker or electric stove
Ingredients for the filling
- 400g of beef or mincemeat
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp of pepper
- 1 tsp of salt
- 4 sizable Irish potatoes (cleaned, finely diced, and half cooked)
- 3 sizable carrots (cleaned and diced)
- Beef stock
- 1 medium-sized onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp of garlic
- 1 tsp of garlic
- 1 spice cube
- 2 tbsp of cornstarch
- 1 tsp of curry (optional)
- 1 tsp of thyme (optional)
Ingredients for the pastry
- 1 kg of plain flour
- 400g of butter
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tbsp of milk powder
- 1 tbsp of vanilla essence
Preparation of the filling
- Heat the vegetable oil in the medium-sized pot, then add the onions, ginger, and garlic. Stir a bit, then add the mincemeat or beef.
- Add the curry, thyme, salt, pepper, and spice cube (you can spice your filling to your taste) and stir evenly.
- Add the beef stock and let it steam for a few minutes. Then, add the Irish potatoes and carrots and stir well. Leave to simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the cornstarch to bind the sauce filling and leave to rest.
Preparation of the pastry
- Add the flour, baking powder, milk powder, vanilla essence, and a pinch of salt into a big bowl. Then, stir well.
- Add the butter to the mixture and rub it in with your hands for an even mix.
- Add cold water gradually into the batter and rub until it forms a dough.
- Place dough on the table and knead thoroughly for a smooth consistency.
Preparation of the meat pie
- Share dough into 30- 32 pieces.
- Sprinkle flour on the work surface (table) and roll out dough one after another using the rolling pin.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl and whisk well.
- Spread dough on the meat pie cutter. Then, put 1 tablespoon of filling in the middle of the dough.
- Use the pastry brush to apply the whisked egg on the edges of the spread dough. This will serve as a seal for the edges.
- Close the meat pie cutter over the dough to form a half-moon or semicircle shape. Then, brush the whisked egg over the pie slightly. Repeat the process till the dough is exhausted.
- Preheat the oven to 350°C and arrange the pies on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
Considerations When Making Commercial Meat Pie, And How to Be Profitable
As every endeavor has pros and cons, starting a meat pie business is no exception. Thus, some factors are worth considering before venturing into it. See also how profitable making meat pie commercially can be.
Know that you do not need huge capital to begin a meat pie business. It is not capital-intensive. If you are in Nigeria, N15,000 – N20,000 (44 USD) is a reasonable sum to start a meat pie business. Using the recipe above, you’ll need less than that.
You will agree that this is essential, especially as the sumptuous meat pie must be sold. Source for public areas (schools, bus stations, offices, open markets, etc.) to either supply meat pie to or set up mobile spots.
Never stop telling others about your savory meat pie. Make for family, friends, work colleagues, and fellow religious members. They will be the driving force in putting your business out there. When convenient, make provisions for bonuses and giveaways while ensuring that your meat pie is at its peak quality.
You can also make provision for home and office delivery services. Give your business a name and ensure it is well-packed and presentable.
Hygiene is not debatable as a factor when considering making commercial meat pie. Many humans hold high the importance of hygiene when making meals because it is directly related to health.
So, as a commercial meat pie maker, you are tending to the snack needs of consumers; therefore, your aprons and all utensils must be well-cleaned before and after use. Likewise, all ingredients must be well-cleaned and prepared. Work space should also be well-cleaned and free from germs-causing insects.
How to be profitable when making commercial meat pie
- Use precise measurements and Stick to a recipe except when necessary to change.
- Have a daily target
- Buy ingredients in bulk
- Track your profit pattern. Having about N5400 and following the recipe above, you can make a profit of N1000 daily. That is good progress!
- Be consistent