Barefoot Contessa sirloin tip roast recipe is a must-try dish for those who love juicy, tender, and flavorful beef. The recipe was conceived by Ina Garten and appeared in her cookbook which has been released in recent years.
Barefoot Contessa is a nickname that Ina Garten had been called since she was a child. It was the name she had used for her first food store in 1975, then for her cooking show and her cookbook series. The show has been first released in 2002 and is still on air until this time. It was even nominated for Daytime Emmy Award and won several times. Barefoot Contessa show features the process of preparation of easy-to-cook multi-course which was introduced as being suitable for friend gathering, or romantic dinner. Interestingly, all the fresh herbs used in her recipe were grown and hand-harvested from her backyard garden.
In this article, Bourbon O will show you the barefoot Contessa sirloin tip roast recipe that we have tried and love so much. If you are a fan of beef roast, you should definitely try this out.
Barefoot Contessa sirloin tip roast recipe
I guess that quite a few people don’t know or misunderstand where the sirloin tip was cut from. It’s not from the sirloin part of beef as it’s called, it is the portion that is cut from the rump and hind legs which is called round. In fact, it is also called a round tip. This part of the muscles is used for movement, so the sirloin or round tip is leaner and less tender. Therefore, it’s often used to roast, or make ground beef.
Now, you know where the sirloin tip comes from and some characteristics of it, let’s move on to the next step to cook this beef based on the Barefoot Contessa sirloin tip roast recipe.
- A whole piece of sirloin tip roast ( Around 4-5 lbs)
- 2tbsps Olive oil
- Garlic powder (To taste)
- fresh cracked pepper (To taste)
- Salt (To taste)
- Dried rosemary (To taste)
- 1 onion
- Corn starch
- Red wine
A secret to this sirloin tip roast recipe is to go low and slow while also carefully watching the internal temperature of the roast.
Step 1: Place the meat into the middle of the oven rack and roast it at around 250°F. Remember to put the tray below the beef to contain all the dripping from the meat which will be used to make gravy in the next step. After that, let the roast cool down at room temperature for at least 45 minutes.
Step 2: While waiting for the beef to cool down, prepare other ingredients.
- Place all the spices and seasoning into a small bowl and mix them.
- Make the gravy: Heat up the drippings from the roasted beef and add some redwine to deglaze. While waiting for the mixture boils, dissolve corn starch with some water. Then, pour the corn starch mixture to the pan and stir quickly.
Step 3: Use your hands to rub olive oil all over the beef before seasoning it with spices.
Step 4: Slice the onion into thick rings and do not separate the rings. Place the onion on the bottom of a saucepan, then put the beef above. Turn on the oven up at around 450°F in 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 300°F until the thermometer show your desired temperature (135°F for medium-rare, 145°F for medium).
Step 5: Take the beef out from the oven and cover it loosely with aluminum foil for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Read more: How Many Grams In A Cup of Cooked Rice?
How to choose the pefect beef for you dinner?
- Carefully inspect the meat to detect whether or not it is free from bruises or discolorations. You should not pick the beef with those signs if you want your beef to be tenderness, juiciness and flavourful. Also, you should pass the beef with sticky and tacky texture because it’s the maniests of past-due roast beef.
- Similarly, if the beef is sticky or slimy to the touch, it’s time to throw it out.
- Having the natural color of bright red shows that it’s fresh steaks. Otherwise, the beef will no longer shows the bright red color. The dark or grey color of the meat is sometimes caused by the partial loss of the red meat pigment.
- A lot of people misunderstand and judge the usability of the meats based on color alone. However color isn’t the be-all and end-all indicator of freshness. According to the USDA, color of the meat will change and do not remain the same exact color as it was when you bought it. The color often gets darken after a bit of time in the refrigerator. It’s due to the result of oxidation and it’s normal for meats. Therefore, visual inspection alone isn’t enough to determine whether or not you should throw or use it. There are several criteria we list below to guide you how to choose perfect beef for your dinner.
Besides having a look at the appearance, your nose is also a great and sensitive tool in determining the quality and usability of the food. Therefore, after rigorously detecting the appearance of the beef, you should sniff it. I know it’s weird and a lot of people don’t know that beef that is in good condition and fresh should give off a smell of slightly acidic. Otherwise, you shouldn’t be purchase meats with rancid smells.
The firmness of the meat also shows how good or bad it is. The fresh and good condition beef will be neither too tough nor soft. So, you should poke and feel the firmness of the meat. After you slightly press and the meat should bounce back to its original shape, then it is the meat you should put in your cart. Otherwise, if the meat doesn’t come back to the original shape or is quite hard to press, it might be on the shelf for a long period of time.
You often see people sell meat wrapped in paper, but you should avoid buying it other than you’re sure that the meat just comes out from the butchery. Otherwise, you only buy meats in supermarkets or shops that store their meat in refrigerators and packed in anti-vapor wrapping materials.
Be your own butcher
If you have some skills in butchery, you could save up a little bit by purchasing bigger cuts, then do some of the preparation work yourself. It’s because precut beef into a steak or preground beef into patties costs more than less processed beef.
Sirloin tip is much cheaper compared to other portions of beef. However, it doesn’t necessarily mean it tastes awful. It’s only bad when you do not know how to cook it. Applying the Barefoot Contessa sirloin tip roast recipe, we make sure that you won’t be disappointed with the money you paid. Thanks for reading this article.